IMG 3551

Final Defendant In Ventura Gang Related Killing Sentenced

Monday November 06, 2023

FullSizeRender 32

FullSizeRender 31

IMG 2506 3

(Above photo courtesy Ryan Thelen)

Hernandez RichardRamirez Alexis

(Richard Hernandez/Alexis Ramirez)

     Updated--The final defendant in a fatal gang related shooting in Ventura more than seven years ago was sentenced Monday.

     Alexis Ramirez, now 28-years-old, was sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in the 2016 shooting on East Main Street in Ventura that left one young man dead and another wounded.

     Ramirez had earlier pleaded guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter and Attempted Murder and admitted several special allegation that the incident was gang related.

     The incident happened on the afternoon of June 29, 2016 in the 4000 block of East Main Street in Ventura.

     There had been a series of verbal altercations between several people that ended with a shooting in the parking lot of Sizzlers Restaurant.

     The shooting claimed the life of 25-year-old Cameron Miller of Oxnard and wounded another young man who was with him.

     The suspects, four of them, fled in their vehicle.

     It was spotted by an officer in the east end of Ventura and there was a pursuit that reached speeds of 100 mph that ended when the suspect's vehicle crashed into a tree in the area of Telegraph Road east of Cambria Avenue.


     Richard Hernandez of Ventura, now 27-years-old, was sentenced in September to 32-years-8-months-to life in prison.


     On May 1st of this year, Hernandez pleaded guilty to second degree murder and attempted murder.


     He also admitted several special allegations including gang enhancements, witness intimidation, being armed with a firearm, and felony evading.


     A third defendant, Luis Aguilar of Oxnard, pleaded guilty several  years ago to voluntary manslaughter and attempted murder with the gang enhancements and was in sentenced in July of 2019 to 17 years in prison.

     The 16 year-old female juvenile who was with them had her case resolved in juvenile court several years ago.